It seems that strawberries are now in season as they are in all the local mini-markets.
Last week a bought a small punnet from Saveway and they cost me around 4LE I think. Today I was in Metro and they were selling whole punnets, 1kg, for 9.50LE That's less than a quid! I don't think we can eat them all on our own though!!
Other great buys at the moment are fresh aish. Somehow I've managed to time trips into Saveway with their delivery of baladi bread and so I've been buying these almost steaming fresh round breads. They are simply delicious, but I can't eat them quick enough as three rounds of bread is at least two meals but the freshness only lasts a day :(
Last week when we were feeling cold we decided to make ourselves a proper stew, so we bought some stewing beef from Gourmet Egypt and kinda made up a recipe using our very own Sandy Claus beer! (had to buy a brand new stewing pot too, but there you go!) We had it stewing for a few days before we ate it (as we reasoned that things always taste better on the second day) and boy was it yummy!
Food-wise we're set up for a while because we also bought some pies from Gourmet Egypt which apparently are tasty - they're in the freezer right now, but we'll have them with mash and veg at one point (Bistro is on the list for things to bring out next time we visit the UK tho' as we can't find it out here, only chicken and then veggie stock cubes). Also got a last bit of pate that I'll have for lunch today that we snuck in and I did manage to find (after about 12 months of looking) what apparently is Sour Cream in Metro today, so we'll be cooking up a chili next weekend I think!
1 comment:
hey, you could always make strawberry jam - v nice with scones and sour cream?
Post a Comment