Tuesday, 25 January 2011

You know you've made it when....

... you go shopping to your local supermarket and leave with THEM giving you money!

Scotty and I popped out for a little shopping this afternoon - as although I went shopping this morning I forgot to buy potatoes! We went together as, I'm sure we'll fill you in on another post, there are protests today around Cairo. On our way though we drop into the Grand Mall and buy a bumbag for our run this weekend. We figured that we might want to carry a few things with us on the run like energy bars and freeze spray for injuries and as we are the only ones doing the run we're not sure what the set up is with supplies and bags etc.
Bumbag located and purchased we go onto Saveway, but then realise we don't have cash on us to pay the 50LE that water will be. We try the bank, but the machine is not working. Don't worry, I say, we can just ask them to deliver and pay for the water on delivery (I've done this once before).
We browse around and of course buy more than just water and potatoes. Our bill comes to 114LE and I explain in simple English that the bank is closed, can they deliver and we will pay then. He says OK and then asks "you will pay 150?" "umm, yes" "OK here is your change" and he counts out the change for 150LE. I assume that he will give this to the delivery guy to hand over when he delivers our stuff, but no - he gives it to me!
So that's how we end up leaving Saveway with them giving us money. It's great to be trusted!

On another note I can tell my Arabic is improving as I have small exchanges with the people who work at Saveway that Scott doesn't understand and has to ask me about! I asked the nice veg man for "wahed kilo botatas" and he responded "essa tenni?" to which I responded "la-a" (I should have said "la-a, botatas bas" He was asking me if I wanted anything else (we learnt "wahed tenni" in the pub as - one more please i.e. same again!). Just gotta keep using my Arabic and listening and hope to get there!

No comments: