1. Long walk. The challenge here is balancing the desire to stay in bed with the desire to not be drenched with sweat during the walk! Another challenge is to try not to walk down the same road twice - as otherwise people look at you funny. I've been able to discover some of the quiet roads at the other end of Degla and some new supermarkets.
2. Make more flapjacks. Fabs and I discovered a good flapjack recipe when she was over. I've always tried to cook flapjacks here with recipes that allow you to substitute honey for golden syrup as it's hard to get/expensive out here. But this new recipe doesn't use brown sugar either - controversial I know, as brown sugar (along with golden syrup) pretty much defines what a flapjack is, but either I have none in the cupboard or it's one solid mass. We've also improvised a bit and used half butter and half peanut butter to add flavour.
3. CSA for coffee. This is good as it involves a bit of a walk and seeing people. Up until now I've not had many conversations when at the CSA, but things have started to change and I'll do a whole post on this later.
4. Have a CTG scan. I need a scan every other day now to check how the baby is doing. It's actually quiet uncomfortable to lie on my back for 20 minutes and you can't get much rest when lying there as the heart beat blares oout from the unit. Next scan is in two days and I'll have to go to El Nada hospital for it as Dr Cherif's clinic in Maadi is closed.
5. Blog. Something I should be doing a little more of as I've still two posts from the summer to finish (!) and two Read the Casbah posts to write.
6. Read. I finished two books last week (hence the need to write up some Read the Casbah posts) and CSA had a book sale on where I bought two paperbacks to get me through the next little while. They are both fiction - one a crime/thriller looking novel by an author I read over the summer and the other a trashier looking tale about Alexander/Alexandria.
7. Pampers Survery. So over the last two days I have tried to visit the main supermarkets in Maadi to do a mini survey of their Pampers prices. I figure that we're going to need to buy some soon (!) and we may as well know now who stocks what and what sort of prices they have. The results are in;
Miriam market - only had one pack of Pampers in therefore it's not worth shopping there for them.
MGM pharmacy - had a fair range of Pampers in but they are the most expensive.
Alfamarket - had a good range and come out the cheapest to buy from. They also had Huggies in size 2.
Metro - a good range again and only a bit more than Alfamarket. They also had newborn size 1 nappies which I didn't see anywhere else
Seoudi - a good range, including newborn nappies, and a just a bit more than Metro.
Metro is our nearest supermarket so it's good to know that their prices are good for the nappies that we want. If we do a 'big shop' at Alfamarket though we can stock up. I haven't visited Carrefour to check their prices but I reckon they will be on a par with Alfamarket.
8. Watch TV. A new colleague at school has a very large collection of TV series so we went out to buy a new hard drive at the weekend so that we can take advantage of this! We decided that this was a better investment than buying a satellite subscription. I've started to watch Homeland series 1 and will soon have all the Buffy and Angel series to keep me busy!
9. Get the baby's room ready. We've been trying to take our time with getting the room ready as we enjoy doing it bit by bit and we enjoy doing it together, so didn't want to rush things. Some things I haven't been able to do myself (like hang the bunting) or haven't wanted to do myself (like make decisions about which pictures to hang where). But I have now cleaned and assembled the toys and decorated the walls with Tintin pictures and a little underwater scene.
10. Rest. Oh yes - got to try and do that. Some mornings I am fast asleep when Scotty's alarm goes off and sleep right through and then even have a lazy bath. Other mornings though I'll wake up and not be able to get back to sleep.
2. Make more flapjacks. Fabs and I discovered a good flapjack recipe when she was over. I've always tried to cook flapjacks here with recipes that allow you to substitute honey for golden syrup as it's hard to get/expensive out here. But this new recipe doesn't use brown sugar either - controversial I know, as brown sugar (along with golden syrup) pretty much defines what a flapjack is, but either I have none in the cupboard or it's one solid mass. We've also improvised a bit and used half butter and half peanut butter to add flavour.
3. CSA for coffee. This is good as it involves a bit of a walk and seeing people. Up until now I've not had many conversations when at the CSA, but things have started to change and I'll do a whole post on this later.
4. Have a CTG scan. I need a scan every other day now to check how the baby is doing. It's actually quiet uncomfortable to lie on my back for 20 minutes and you can't get much rest when lying there as the heart beat blares oout from the unit. Next scan is in two days and I'll have to go to El Nada hospital for it as Dr Cherif's clinic in Maadi is closed.
5. Blog. Something I should be doing a little more of as I've still two posts from the summer to finish (!) and two Read the Casbah posts to write.
6. Read. I finished two books last week (hence the need to write up some Read the Casbah posts) and CSA had a book sale on where I bought two paperbacks to get me through the next little while. They are both fiction - one a crime/thriller looking novel by an author I read over the summer and the other a trashier looking tale about Alexander/Alexandria.
7. Pampers Survery. So over the last two days I have tried to visit the main supermarkets in Maadi to do a mini survey of their Pampers prices. I figure that we're going to need to buy some soon (!) and we may as well know now who stocks what and what sort of prices they have. The results are in;
Miriam market - only had one pack of Pampers in therefore it's not worth shopping there for them.
MGM pharmacy - had a fair range of Pampers in but they are the most expensive.
Alfamarket - had a good range and come out the cheapest to buy from. They also had Huggies in size 2.
Metro - a good range again and only a bit more than Alfamarket. They also had newborn size 1 nappies which I didn't see anywhere else
Seoudi - a good range, including newborn nappies, and a just a bit more than Metro.
Metro is our nearest supermarket so it's good to know that their prices are good for the nappies that we want. If we do a 'big shop' at Alfamarket though we can stock up. I haven't visited Carrefour to check their prices but I reckon they will be on a par with Alfamarket.
8. Watch TV. A new colleague at school has a very large collection of TV series so we went out to buy a new hard drive at the weekend so that we can take advantage of this! We decided that this was a better investment than buying a satellite subscription. I've started to watch Homeland series 1 and will soon have all the Buffy and Angel series to keep me busy!
9. Get the baby's room ready. We've been trying to take our time with getting the room ready as we enjoy doing it bit by bit and we enjoy doing it together, so didn't want to rush things. Some things I haven't been able to do myself (like hang the bunting) or haven't wanted to do myself (like make decisions about which pictures to hang where). But I have now cleaned and assembled the toys and decorated the walls with Tintin pictures and a little underwater scene.
10. Rest. Oh yes - got to try and do that. Some mornings I am fast asleep when Scotty's alarm goes off and sleep right through and then even have a lazy bath. Other mornings though I'll wake up and not be able to get back to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment