Today Therese and I went back to the Khan as we both had things to collect that we had ordered two weeks ago. We were joined by Rachel who is new to Cairo this year and we all had a great time together.
I must say that the day started off well with pancakes for breakfast with our weekend coffee. They were yum, but weren't without their problems. Firstly I tried to make the batter too quickly; more haste, less speed. So the first batter was really lumpy and I abandoned it. I finished another batter and then Scotty had a go at my lumpy one and managed to get the lumps out. 30 minutes to rest (the batter, not us) and then we're on to frying. As per usual in our flat we make do with what we've got when you can't quite find the things you need/would use in the UK. This meant that we were using a plastic spatular to turn the pancakes. The first one turned out OK, but the second one was a bit plastic-y. Pan very well washed and spatular in the bin, we return to frying. We're keeping them in the oven when they're done and then start to worry as they are actually cooking still, rather than keeping warm. All this aside when we come to eat them they are just great. I've not been out today to buy lemon so Scotty has sugar and I have our Canadian maple syrup and left-over strawberries on mine.
We were a little concerned about going to the Khan this weekend as a few things have started to get going again downtown. The army have apparently cleared Tahrir Square and there have unforuntatly been sectarian clashes. We're conscious of this, but know to look out and get ourselves out of a situation should it occur. Foruntaly nothing of concern happens and we have a great 3 hours shopping. We start again by Attaba and within 100m I have already spent money. First is some great glasses that a boy was selling just outside the Metro. 15LE for the set of 6. Then I collect the door sign I have ordered. Then a few steps further along and there is a new revolution sticker that has been produced. Genious. And at 2LE a sticker someone is finally selling it to me at the right price!
Further up Mohamed Ali Street and Therese is looking at sofa's and furniture for her apartment that she has bought. Then along to the tent makers bazarre and we have a tea with Ashraf who sold us the lovely fish hanging last week. We all buy some cushion covers. 25LE a piece for the ones I choose. Back home Scotty and I stuff them with an old pillow that we have cut in half. I stop by our usual guy and buy a brown scarf 20LE then further towards the Khan itself I find a smaller scarf in green for 15LE but I get it for 10LE - might be good to wear for the Paddy's night gig next weekend.
In the Khan nowand there is a little more life than last time, but still hardly any westerners so we got a bit of hassle. A few of the "white elephant" stalls have cottoned on to the fact that people like to buy booze memorabelia and so have some metal Stella signs (Ros bought us a cardboard one last year that we had been eyeing up). They are 400LE but I'm not convinced that they are original - the metal is in perfect condition - so I give them a pass. Therese buys her lamp that she has been after and I get a small hand-blown glass vase for 8LE that will go with the larger one we have for flowers.
A good trip and I'm pleased with the glasses and stickers. I could have bought more but I am sure that there are more designs that will come out and these things will be around for a while.
I must say that the day started off well with pancakes for breakfast with our weekend coffee. They were yum, but weren't without their problems. Firstly I tried to make the batter too quickly; more haste, less speed. So the first batter was really lumpy and I abandoned it. I finished another batter and then Scotty had a go at my lumpy one and managed to get the lumps out. 30 minutes to rest (the batter, not us) and then we're on to frying. As per usual in our flat we make do with what we've got when you can't quite find the things you need/would use in the UK. This meant that we were using a plastic spatular to turn the pancakes. The first one turned out OK, but the second one was a bit plastic-y. Pan very well washed and spatular in the bin, we return to frying. We're keeping them in the oven when they're done and then start to worry as they are actually cooking still, rather than keeping warm. All this aside when we come to eat them they are just great. I've not been out today to buy lemon so Scotty has sugar and I have our Canadian maple syrup and left-over strawberries on mine.
We were a little concerned about going to the Khan this weekend as a few things have started to get going again downtown. The army have apparently cleared Tahrir Square and there have unforuntatly been sectarian clashes. We're conscious of this, but know to look out and get ourselves out of a situation should it occur. Foruntaly nothing of concern happens and we have a great 3 hours shopping. We start again by Attaba and within 100m I have already spent money. First is some great glasses that a boy was selling just outside the Metro. 15LE for the set of 6. Then I collect the door sign I have ordered. Then a few steps further along and there is a new revolution sticker that has been produced. Genious. And at 2LE a sticker someone is finally selling it to me at the right price!
Further up Mohamed Ali Street and Therese is looking at sofa's and furniture for her apartment that she has bought. Then along to the tent makers bazarre and we have a tea with Ashraf who sold us the lovely fish hanging last week. We all buy some cushion covers. 25LE a piece for the ones I choose. Back home Scotty and I stuff them with an old pillow that we have cut in half. I stop by our usual guy and buy a brown scarf 20LE then further towards the Khan itself I find a smaller scarf in green for 15LE but I get it for 10LE - might be good to wear for the Paddy's night gig next weekend.
In the Khan nowand there is a little more life than last time, but still hardly any westerners so we got a bit of hassle. A few of the "white elephant" stalls have cottoned on to the fact that people like to buy booze memorabelia and so have some metal Stella signs (Ros bought us a cardboard one last year that we had been eyeing up). They are 400LE but I'm not convinced that they are original - the metal is in perfect condition - so I give them a pass. Therese buys her lamp that she has been after and I get a small hand-blown glass vase for 8LE that will go with the larger one we have for flowers.
A good trip and I'm pleased with the glasses and stickers. I could have bought more but I am sure that there are more designs that will come out and these things will be around for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment