Monday, 3 June 2013

Things to remember

I'm writing this short post for no other reason than to act as a memory-jogger when we look back on this in years to come.

There is a point in the day - a short 2 minute snatch of time - that is probably my favourite moment with Leila at the moment.  I know that this sounds daft, and some may say I'm stupid for not enjoying all the other times, but this one bit is a real highlight.  It's the couple of minutes I cuddle her after bathing/drying/putting her in her sleeping bag before she goes to Alice for a final bit of milk before bed.

In those couple of minutes she transitions from 'playing' mode to 'bedtime' mode.  I stand just to the side of the mobile that Fabia bought her, and lightly tap it to make it sway a little.  Leila is absolutely fascinated by it.  During the day she pays it very little attention, but with the lights changed for bedtime she stares in absolute innocent wonder at it.

She's done this for about a month, but tonight I was very aware of something that had been plaguing me a bit - she's not as awestruck by the mobile as she used to be.  The wide-eyed amazement has given way to familiarity with a favourite toy, and although she still clearly enjoys staring at it there's an awareness in her eyes that she didn't used to have.  She's growing up, becoming more a part of her environment than merely an observer, and so the things around her have maybe lost a bit of that special magic they once had.

Having said that, she spent ten minutes hypnotised by playing with my tie this morning, so there's still plenty of things for her to be fascinated by!

No comments: