Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Gradually getting out there

So I've been working part-time now for three weeks and have been trying to 'get out there' on my days off, rather than find myself just sitting at home.  Not that I am the kind of person who does just sit around at home, but going out and meeting new people on my own is something new for me!

I've been visiting the CSA most days, as it is open during the day (BCA only opens at 3pm) and they have a coffee shop and free wi-fi.  And, of course, it seems to be where none-working expats hang out.

On my first few visits I walked around the centre to see who was there as I was keen to try and see how many new mums would be around.  There were a few with toddlers and I did spy one with a large tum like mine, and another with a baby car seat (I couldn't see the baby, but I'm sure it was in there somewhere!).  Not quite having the courage to just go and walk to them though I then just grabbed a drink and sat down by myself.

The difficulty has been that most people seem to already be there with friends - and it's a bit more daunting to go up to a group already sat together, than to go up to someone on their own.  My last two visits though I have managed to catch people on their own for a little chat with which has felt good.

The first was another mum to be who had a bump the same size as mine.  It turns out that she too is 8 months pregnant.  This is her second child though and she lives in Katameya, but comes to the CSA as her first is at nursery in Maadi.  It was good to have said 'hi' to someone in a similar position and hopefully I'll see her around again.

The second person I spoke to was an American who has two kids (one in Primary and the other at nursery) and lives in Maadi (while her husband works in Katameya).  It was really interesting chatting to her about some of the recent goings on and she was happy to talk for a while about babies in Maadi.  She recommended that we get a carrier, rather than just a buggy for the Maadi streets and I said that this was our plan already.  Her recommendation was the ErgoBaby - which is actually what we have got (!) so I feel we've definitely made the right choice there. 

I tried to meet some other mums at the 'coffee morning' about child health the other day, but the turn out was not great.  I also tried to meet some mums by crashing the Baby Massage course being run there (that I couldn't sign up for without a baby!), but it turns out it has been postponed till November.  Although it means I might not meet some other mums through the course for a while - it does give me something to aim for in November. 

A number of people have said that the CSA run a 'mum and baby' group, but it doesn't seem like they do.  I did ask them and they said that others have been asking too, so they might start something.  I think I will ask again next week and suggest that i am happy to put up a notice if they think there has been other interest.

The other 'mum and baby' group tip-off that I have been following up is that something is run at the Maadi Community Church (opposite the BCA), but when I asked there they described it as a Bible Study Group for mums and that the babies are looked after in the nursery.  I might give it a go - just to see what it is like - but I was hoping to find something that would be mums and babies together.

My investigations have also concluded that mums and toddlers and young kids do go to Beanos on Road 9 during the day (but no babies). 

I have also concluded that Beanos do a very good 'Hibiscus and Blackberry cooler' and 'Twix Tart' :-)

No comments: