Saturday, 11 December 2010

Double winner!

I posted a few weeks ago saying that my ivebeenthere book shop tip had been shortlisted but didn't win. that post though was still 12 hours before the paper was published and when I checked the following day I found that actually I DID win the competition - top tipper!!
I was really chuffed as my Alexandria tip was highlighted before but they weren't giving prizes then. Also the top tip is selected by a writer for the Lonely Planet which is pretty cool. So the prize I've won is a digital camera from Jessops. It looks to be about the same size as my current one which is cool as I like having a small camera that is easy to carry around, but I've had mine for at least 5 years and I think the focus is going a bit dodgey on it (or I use it too much when I'm a bit tipsy). It arrived at MVR earlier this week along with a letter saying I've also got a code for a free photo book. Awesome - because we want to make a 2010 photo book to go with the beautiful 2009 one that Scotty did for me last year.
So we were pretty pleased with being a winner, but then we won again!
Last night was the BCA Ball which was a blast as usual (free bar with proper booze!). They always have a raffle with prizes from various big companies in Egypt with the biggest prize being a return flight BMI between London and Cairo and then another prize being hotel stays in Sharm or the like. The last two years they have sold raffle tickets when you're there, but this year we all had two numbers on the back of our tickets that would be in the draw. It's a notorious fix as we never win anything, or our friend Frenchie wins everything (she won three prizes in her first year). Sometimes they even have consecutive numbers drawn out, so we sit at our table yeklling "fix, fix! Mix the tickets up! Take one from the bottom instead!" etcetc. They draw the four big prizes and then everyone loses interest and patience, so start talking and going to the bar. So they then just put a board up near the bar after a while with the other winning tickets and their prizes for people to check themselves.
I see that the board is up and Scotty starts talking to Mike from the BCA in a joking way about what a fix it is. But then I take a look and think I recognise one of the numbers, so I go back to our table and grab our tickets to check. Get in! We are winners! Our prize is dinner for two at the Grand Hyatt in Chingari, their Indian Restaurant.

















Winners!

No comments: