Friday, 10 April 2009

Things we see on the way to work

Our drive to works starts with a quick escape from Maadi via the ring road, and then takes us through the desert road before we reach Katamaya which is literally a desert city.
It was about two months ago that I realised a real benefit of driving back into Cairo each day from the desert and that is the view across the city and the Nile. This view is great because on a clear day we can see the Pyramids! At first you get a really long view of them, but as you get closer to the city this turns into a glimpse between buildings - but still pretty cool!! One of the first things I noticed at the gym I go to is that you can see the Pyramids from there too (it's on the 8th floor), but it was only today as the weather was really clear that I realised it isn't the Giza pyramids I can see, but the Step-Pyramid at Saqarra!!

The other site on the way to and from work is rock in the middle of some desert, which is being turned into the centre piece of a new surburb they are building around it. It is quite surreal to see the one or two villas that are being constructed amongst the tonne of sand that is the essence of the site at the moment. What I really enjoy about the site is their slogan for the new development " Where Reality is a Dream"....

This reminds me of the slogan I saw for a school prom "Today is a Dream, Tomorrow is a Memory"

3 comments:

JAC said...

That has to beat hands down the grey mist and drizzle that swept in off the north sea to surround us in it's miserable cocoon today - view zero.... MummyB struggles to control envious green colour spreading over her face!

Jim Pennington said...

same in the old smoke... mizzle and fumery... and the magnolia has dropped all its blossom in that chill NE wind. Thanks Ali for reminding us the grass is greener in Egypt (hang on,,that don't sound right)...

nettle said...

Oooh you lucky things - fancy seeing pyramids on yur way to school each day (providing weather kind etc). Much nicer than dust and dirt and buses belching out knoxious fumes over cyclists...
Alternative slogan: "Today is a dream, tomorrow it will be a memory"