Wednesday, 24 September 2008

The interweb commeth!

So we've been online for a couple of weeks now, but in that time we've been plagued by terrible Skype connections due to painfully slow speeds. We asked one of the tech guys at work to look into upgrading our speed, and duly gave him 200LE to get us on a faster package, but then heard nothing. It wasn't until last night, though, that we looked into it. Alice had the almost impossible task of acting as intermediary between me and the chap on Internet Egypt technical support as messages and data transfer rates were passed backwards and forwards.

The conversation was pretty much:

"We should be on a 1 megabit connection, but it's not fast enough."
"I've checked, and you are on a 1 megabit connection."
"But the speed isn't fast enough..."
(repeat a few times)
"Look, we've run tests and we can only download at 512kb, not 1mb like we're paying for."
"I've checked, and you're on 1mb."
"But we're sure we're not."
"Go into your router settings and read me the connection numbers."
So we did.
"Oh," say the tech guy, "I'll speak to my manager about why your speed is too slow!"

This morning, we rebooted the router and our speed had doubled. It appears that they'd updated the account to say they were charging us for 1mb but not actually flicked the switch to enable it! Still, it seems to be sorted now, and Skype calls to the UK are sounding much clearer for everyone involved. Hooray!

4 comments:

JAC said...

Yes, I can confirm Skype is loads better - I think you are doing fantastically well dealing with the difficulties of the language barrier. Had any lessons yet?

MummyB

nettle said...

So, do the cabbies double up as internet-techies in their spare time?
How do they make use of their horns during this 'tech-time'? Perhaps they use them instead of Skye...

nettle said...

Re: the above, I meant Skype of course. I wasn't referring to an island off the coast of Scotland!

Jim Pennington said...

so egypt is no different to Virgin media then?