It must have been some time last year when this guy first knocked on our door. He was Deaf/Mute and came with a piece of paper / flier which asked for a donation of 1LE in return. We of course gave him the money and smiled nicely. He then would come back every now and then; knocking on the doors in the building and near by to ask for money in this way as he could not get any other way of earning a living. We would always smile and be welcoming and sometimes we would see a friend of his in the street by the Grand Mall doing the same thing to whoever would pass him by.
He comes by pretty regularly now and every time I try to have a bit of a conversation with him. I only know a few signs in BSL, but it isn't likely that these (or the finger alphabet) would translate for Arabic Sign Language, so it is mainly through gesture that we communicate on our door step. Past conversation s have included him asking after Scott (he points to his ring finger and then shrugs his shoulders and looks quizzically at me), him asking if we have been away (making the sign of an airplane taking off and then hugging himself indicating the cold of England!), his questioning if we have any children (him pointing to his ring finger and then making to rock a baby and using his hand to show increasing height and then looking quizzical whilst shrugging his shoulders) and talking about the weather (whether is be the rain, too cold or too hot through various gestures).
One of the more interesting conversations was when he had visited about half a dozen times and this time he rang the bell as Scott was practising the guitar. When I opened the door and we started to talk, he gestured playing the guitar and pointed at me to ask if I played. I thought this was a bit suspicious at first (!) but then realised that the guitar was now lying on the chair behind me for him to see. He told me that he played the drums. He came by with his daughter once too, but I wasn't here then.
A few months ago though when the outside door was properly installed to the building we came across a slight hitch in the arrangement - he could very well buzz for our flat, but couldn't communicate with us on the intercom to know he was there. The first time this problem arose the bowab was around and he buzzed us. But this wasn't much help as obviously he was saying 'that deaf/mute guy who always comes round to your flat is here for you' but in Arabic and hence I had no idea what he was on about! The bowab brought him up for us (I think this was partially the bowab being a bit over-protective) and we had only a little chat this time. During the conversation we worked out a code; he gestured to me that pushing the bell two times would mean it was him - system sorted!
Our most recent conversation when he visited today was interesting as it was about the football violence and tragedy that occurred last night. He started off by miming kicking a ball and then punching to ask if I knew what had happened. I nodded and made a sad face to confirm that it was a tragedy that this had happened. I had to ask him to repeat a few signs then to get the next part of the story, but he was describing to me how the army had stood by and let this happen and maybe they were involved (the sign for army is stroking your shoulder / epaulet, but he clarified this for me by also doing a salute). He said that the people were crazy and that someone had lit a firework and put it in a child's face. I mimed to him that I heard that fireworks had been thrown on the pitch. We both agreed that people were crazy and that football should be about happiness and not fighting.
So, there you go - an interesting conversation this evening about yesterday's events! We wish we could do something more than just give this guy money when he comes round, but there doesn't seem to be. I think it is just good that we can be nice to him and he said today that he walks up and down the street and the houses, but he likes coming here.
Here is one of the leaflets that he gives us each time. Maybe I should try and learn some of the signs. I do the 'love' one to show friendship, but what I enjoy about this leaflet is the fascinating choice of signs / words!
No comments:
Post a Comment