I really wanted to go shopping in the Khan this weekend so that I could wander around while it is nice and quiet, but also to buy a few things and spend some money at a time when the businesses really need it. Scotty had a band practice with JT and so I went with a friend, Therese.
We got the Metro down there, as I normally do, changing at Sadat Metro station. This is the Metro station for Tahrir Square and it was all totally normal there for the change. We decided we didn't want to go to the square itself because there had been some trouble in Maadi a few days ago, and we still feel that this revolution is about what Egyptians have achieved, not us.
When we exited at Attaba Metro we came into the book market, but found that half the stalls were closed and it wasn't half as busy as it normally is. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that we were going through at 11am, not mid-afternoon as we usually go.
Onto Mohamed Ali street and I find my "sign man". I commission a new sign with the house number "38" for Fab and Sam's new place. I pay him the full amount and will come back in a few weeks time.
We pass some food; fresh food stalls and the deep-fried variety! They all look and smell yum!
Onto the route to Bab Zuweila now and I'm needing to get more coffee as we're on our last bit frm the packet before Christmas. After a few tries the man finds the thicker ground stuff that our Aeropress needs. I take two 1/4kg bags and also a small box of cinnamon and hibiscus tea that looks interesting: 23.5LE
We then walk a meandering route through the tent makers market and into the local market streets beyond. We try to find our way back on a circular route, trying to keep our bearings with the main streets. We find ourselves in the marble area where men are carving and polishing huge pieces. It's here that I find a hardware store that might have what Scott is after; an adjustable spanner. Therese's arabic is far better than mine, but neither of us know the words for "adjustable spanner", so I make the gesture. They come back with something that looks a lot larger than I was thinking of, but it will do. The only smaller ones they have are fixed size and I know we need one that we can adjust. 15LE job done. It weighs down in my bag, but it's OK. When I get home Scotty tells me that infact I have bought a wrench. I thought it was a little too big! Anyway, only 15LE spent and we can get something smaller on Road 9 when we next visit there.
Back in the tent makers and I stop to buy some material for Fabs. I buy two bits of "Ramadan material" that are both blue, but one has green in it and the other has red. 4m of each, so hopefully that is enough for her to do something with in the new place. 80LE
The shop owner now shows us some of his other hangings and cushion covers. Therese buys some cushion covers and then there are some nice hangings that we both eye up. He offers us a good price if we will take them both so we agree. We both now have a fish scene that we can hang by our bathrooms. Scotty and I had been thinking of getting something like this for a while - as we go diving - so now we have it. 100LE
I go and say "hi" to our usual man and he is pleased to see us and glad we are well. We discuss politics for a while and he says he thinks Gadafi will be the next leader to fall as he is "magnoon" crazy.
We've been out a while now and we walk towards the main Khan El Khalili. The only think left for me to get is any more revolutionary memorabelia that they might be selling. When we get into the main Khan we are bombarded with stall holders trying to sell us their wares. We didn't have this on the other side and although there are tourists here (only saw three other Westerners since we left Maadi) it's nothing compared to the normal numbers. This explains why the stall owners are desparate.
I find a shop with some black-white-red hats. They have the eagle on the front and then writing on one side about the revolution. 25LE can't complain at that price so I get one. He has loads, so I know I can get more if needed, but I think this is more a token, than something anyone will go around wearing.
Then a stall selling t-shirts. It's the only one which surprises me, but there you go. I get one for me which says "I love Egypt" in arabic and then the reovlution dates. For Scotty I get one with the outline of Egypt in the flag colours that also says something like "the men did it" which translates to a kind of people power message I think. 45LE each, he goes straight down to 80LE for the two.
Taxi back home and a cup of tea :)
We got the Metro down there, as I normally do, changing at Sadat Metro station. This is the Metro station for Tahrir Square and it was all totally normal there for the change. We decided we didn't want to go to the square itself because there had been some trouble in Maadi a few days ago, and we still feel that this revolution is about what Egyptians have achieved, not us.
When we exited at Attaba Metro we came into the book market, but found that half the stalls were closed and it wasn't half as busy as it normally is. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that we were going through at 11am, not mid-afternoon as we usually go.
Onto Mohamed Ali street and I find my "sign man". I commission a new sign with the house number "38" for Fab and Sam's new place. I pay him the full amount and will come back in a few weeks time.
We pass some food; fresh food stalls and the deep-fried variety! They all look and smell yum!
Onto the route to Bab Zuweila now and I'm needing to get more coffee as we're on our last bit frm the packet before Christmas. After a few tries the man finds the thicker ground stuff that our Aeropress needs. I take two 1/4kg bags and also a small box of cinnamon and hibiscus tea that looks interesting: 23.5LE
We then walk a meandering route through the tent makers market and into the local market streets beyond. We try to find our way back on a circular route, trying to keep our bearings with the main streets. We find ourselves in the marble area where men are carving and polishing huge pieces. It's here that I find a hardware store that might have what Scott is after; an adjustable spanner. Therese's arabic is far better than mine, but neither of us know the words for "adjustable spanner", so I make the gesture. They come back with something that looks a lot larger than I was thinking of, but it will do. The only smaller ones they have are fixed size and I know we need one that we can adjust. 15LE job done. It weighs down in my bag, but it's OK. When I get home Scotty tells me that infact I have bought a wrench. I thought it was a little too big! Anyway, only 15LE spent and we can get something smaller on Road 9 when we next visit there.
Back in the tent makers and I stop to buy some material for Fabs. I buy two bits of "Ramadan material" that are both blue, but one has green in it and the other has red. 4m of each, so hopefully that is enough for her to do something with in the new place. 80LE
The shop owner now shows us some of his other hangings and cushion covers. Therese buys some cushion covers and then there are some nice hangings that we both eye up. He offers us a good price if we will take them both so we agree. We both now have a fish scene that we can hang by our bathrooms. Scotty and I had been thinking of getting something like this for a while - as we go diving - so now we have it. 100LE
I go and say "hi" to our usual man and he is pleased to see us and glad we are well. We discuss politics for a while and he says he thinks Gadafi will be the next leader to fall as he is "magnoon" crazy.
We've been out a while now and we walk towards the main Khan El Khalili. The only think left for me to get is any more revolutionary memorabelia that they might be selling. When we get into the main Khan we are bombarded with stall holders trying to sell us their wares. We didn't have this on the other side and although there are tourists here (only saw three other Westerners since we left Maadi) it's nothing compared to the normal numbers. This explains why the stall owners are desparate.
I find a shop with some black-white-red hats. They have the eagle on the front and then writing on one side about the revolution. 25LE can't complain at that price so I get one. He has loads, so I know I can get more if needed, but I think this is more a token, than something anyone will go around wearing.
Then a stall selling t-shirts. It's the only one which surprises me, but there you go. I get one for me which says "I love Egypt" in arabic and then the reovlution dates. For Scotty I get one with the outline of Egypt in the flag colours that also says something like "the men did it" which translates to a kind of people power message I think. 45LE each, he goes straight down to 80LE for the two.
Taxi back home and a cup of tea :)
No comments:
Post a Comment