At the end of our road there is a Basket Man. He has a cart which is piled high with various woven baskets and bowls. A month or so after we moved here in 2008 we went over to buy some things from him. I really wanted one of his big baskets with a lid for our laundry, but we also got some bowls that we now keep fruit in, a waste paper bin and some flat servers for hot plates.
Even though we bought all of these things from him, he would always call to me as I passed him by.
"Basket, Madam?"
Every time I walked by!
At first I said, "bhukara, in'shalla" (which means "hopefully tomorrow") but then I would also try "when my family comes to visit I will bring them" but I think this was a bit too much for him. No matter if I replied or just smiled he would always ask as if it was the first time. I walked past a few times a week and he never seemed to notice that he had seen me before!!
This year though he has recognised me and realised that I must live near-by as he now says "Hello, Madam" to which I reply "Salam el'ekum, qwais?"
Yesterday though, Scotty and I stopped at the kiosk next to the house after school to pick up a bottle of coke. The Basket Man was there, so we said hello. When we had picked up our bottle though he said "No money, no money" and insisted on paying for our drink. How kind! We thanked him and smiled a lot and headed home.
Nice to feel neighbourly, but we'd better buy some more baskets soon I think!
No comments:
Post a Comment