Saturday, 25 October 2008

One for the Road

A few weeks ago I posted about buying myself a guitar and being invited to join an Irish band to replace their guitarist who has moved on. Last night was our first gig - up the road from us at the Boss Bar.

The lead singer has been ill all week, and his voice still hadn't recovered by lunchtime yesterday, so we had a frantic afternoon rehearsal to work out what to do. In the end myself, Claire and Jonathan divided the songs between us...meaning that on my debut performance with the band I also took some lead vocal lines.

Despite some initial sound problems (sound guys here aren't used to working with Irish bands!) the first set ended really well, and by the time we reached the curfew at the end of our third set of the night at midnight, people were still asking for more - we finally finished playing about 25 minutes later!

Loads of people were there. The first set started at 9pm and it was quite empty, but by the time we finished you could barely move. Loads of people from work came down, and Alice was there with Fabia and Sam too. Ali recorded some of the set - I've put a few clips up here and when I get time I'll put some more together.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

JAC said...

Some lively music - good sound from you all. Have you got your gig calendar? Are you playing when we visit?

nettle said...

like the gig, glad it went well - will we see Alice singing soon or playing the washboard??